Monday, January 19, 2009

my cynicism is breaking down

i must admit. i'm feeling a little choked up. it's the truth. forget the politics. i mean, yeah, i am hopeful about what obama can do - so sue me. if i don't have some hope at this point i might actually fall apart. but anyway forget about the current state of politics and what might or might not become of the economy; our union yadda yadda - - - okay, wait, one more thing on that. listen up folks, we are a very very young country and the fact that we haven't previously fallen apart at the seams and rebuilt ourselves already is incredible. alright, really, i'm done.

okay, so yeah, all that aside. the significance of this inauguration wells me up. i don't care you can make fun of me all you want. i sorta feel like that's what all the calling him "the messiah" is all about - people trying to dampen the hope that this situation brings. not the politic hope - the hope it means for our culture / our country. the fact is that when this man was born the civil rights act wasn't even existent.

race relations has always been a deep heart issue for me. the fact that this has come to pass leaves me in awe. i was listening to Ta-Nehisi Coates speak today on npr and he said "if you told me this was going ot happen i wouldn't have believed you, i just wouldn't have believed you" (i'm paraphrasing) the point is that is exactly how i feel.

i was wrong. i said this country wouldn't do it. i was however right that the country was more ready for a black man then a woman but i digress. i don't really know how to put it into words. i'm pretty close to overwhelmed. score one for content of character. i'm tempted to just keep on yapping but i don't have the words anywhere in me. not the right ones or enough of them.

i have lost yet something else and i'm getting sick of losing things. i swear something weird is going on here. i usually lose things just long enough to panic and chase them around and finally find them. lately, i wish for that scenario.

and on the subject of race relations happy MLK day! i listened to the MLK speech today. still chokes me up. if you didn't then give it a listen. try to forget the fact that pieces of it have been quoted to death. it's well worth it.

Also . . . I can kill you with my brain

3 comments:

I'm Scooter, but I might be a troll. said...

Well, I am sure the man named Barack Hussein Obama will make mistakes and will fail at some things. However, those mistakes and failures will be made in good faith. I honestly believe that after eight years of what was essentially a selfish and narrow-minded administration of federal law, we will have a man that will listen to people that disagree with him.

To have a man that I honestly believe wishes to heal and maintain rather than enforce and acquire... oh, it is such a wonderful feeling.

He cannot save us. He can only help us save ourselves, and I honestly believe he wishes to do that.

kimberkara said...

I'm afraid of hope at least when it comes to politics. I will wait and see and yeah, I guess hope that something will change for the better. It seems like forever since I have seen change for the better.

cassdawn said...

at the risk of being rude - ya'll are missing my point a little. yes, politically i am hopeful. but forget that for a minute.

i am hopeful about the citizens of this country. when obama was born this country didn't even believe he should be allowed to eat in the same place as john mccain. and that was only one small way in which the country effectively believed john mccain was better for the job / was a better human based solely on the color of his skin. that same country - not even 50 years later this country decided obama was better for our most important job.

and politically - - i really thought the bush administration would have squashed all humanity that was left in people. i thought their narrow mindedness was far more rampant than it actually it is. politically, just the fact that there is still hope is rather hopeful.

but my major point isn't about the politics. it's that just that he was elected (and not assassinated - yes, i was worried) is proof that somethng HAS changed for the better already at least culturally. we have grown. we looked passed race. it's mindblowing.

if only i believed in heaven i would know that mlk was there smiling.