Wednesday, April 22, 2009

the truth about earth day

here's another grain of sand in my panties: people who say we have to save the planet. i know, you find this surprising coming from me. don't get me wrong, i am all about loving the planet and doing right by nature. it is my religion and that's really not a figure of speech. however, let me point something out about mother earth. the earth, like any other organism, seeks to sustain itself by fighting against that which would do it harm. so the reason we have to be good to the earth isn't to save the earth - it's our own sweet asses on the line. because if she has to get rid of us to renew and repair herself . . . guess what?

a friend of mine posted this as her facebook status today and i thought since it is earth day - i'd share:
ONLY AFTER THE LAST TREE HAS BEEN CUT DOWN, ONLY AFTER THE LAST RIVER HAS BEEN POISONED, ONLY AFTER THE LAST FISH HAS BEEN CAUGHT, ONLY THEN WILL YOU FIND THAT MONEY CANNOT BE EATEN. ~Cree Indian Prophecy

Now - go read The Lorax. which reminds me, i've decided my stepmother migh be evil -she hates dr. suess. that's just unnatural.

I've heard about five different issues, and I'm angry about each and every one of them

3 comments:

I'm Scooter, but I might be a troll. said...

The other side of the coin is to be as wasteful as possible so as to speed the demise of ourselves, thereby letting the earth have a break.

cassdawn said...

sure . . . if you want your children or grandchildren to die prematurely

Anonymous said...

Paul Theroux noted that (in a countrywide rail trip he took) that the chinese had converted their every square inch into a cabbage garden. and he wasn't wrong. no earth there had gone untouched.

i only hope we have wild lands enough that my son can tramp about in them with at least a vague feeling of freedom.

my greatest fear is that we o'erun the earth and cultivate the whole fucking bastard, and fish out the seas until we all subsist on corn and plankton.

sadly, that will probably come to pass, but hopefully well after my son has passed thhrough this mortal coil.

i'm not optimistic; it's a terrible virus, the human race...