Saturday, April 25, 2009

Scotland 1998

here are some of my more favorite pictures from scotland. it's like 1/25th of my gazillion pictures and after doing just this much it occurs to me that my transferring to digital project may be slightly more daunting then might have first occured to me. i'm going to try to put little captions under each one but frankly i don't think i'm quite that bright. either way – i hope you enjoy them cuz it took for damned ever


eden


pathway



side yard of the castle i stayed in


another view of castle


black and white back yard of the castle


view from the top of the castle


the importance of a woman


the cooooolest grave site ever


what can i say - it amused


again - pretty amusing . . . that statue was damned tall


so cool


idk - ask chris why i'm standing like that


have i mentioned that i love rocks


hmmmmmm

so i will leave you with this one thought. the picture about the importance of a woman. it just amused me but posting it today got me to thinking - - people often give me crap for my kid having my last name. actually, after kai was born carl said something that seemed to suggest he thought if we had another the next would have his last name. now, understand carl is far more of a "feminist" then i am. we once had an argument where i was defending men who were not allowed visitation with their children but had to pay child support all the same and his response was "yeah, well, men have been screwing women over for so long so who cares".

anyway, here's why my kid has my last name - i have all girl cousins except one and he isn't having kids. and carl's last name is BROOKS for cripes sake. however, i still don't really get why it's an issue. generally, this then leads to a discussion about what if we got married to which i say well, maybe he'll take my last name - the very idea makes people make some really strange faces and a few have actually gotten a little angry. and 90 percent of the time it is from people who have taken their husband's last name. so what does that mean? are we accepting the idea that men are by virtue of their manhood more important?

as per usual, i don't really care that you make that choice - i just want to understand why you think my choice is so crazy. course usually when i ask that question it really upsets the person. so i guess the real question then is why it is that my choices are up for scrutiny and not theirs. but in general i find that everyone seems to have an opinion about me and what i do and they aren't shy about telling me all about it. most of it is way off; like a lot of people think i am a pushover, happens all the time at work. course on a more positive note a lot of people seem to think i'm a great deal smarter than a really am so . . .

that's my random brain fart rant for the evening. i hope you enjoy the pictures.

Xander, will you still make me waffles when we're married?
No, I'll only make them for myself. But by California law, half of them will be yours.

5 comments:

kimberkara said...

This kid will have my last name as well. I figure I have it, Sadie has it. If I ever decide to change my last name then we all will. I want to avoid having kids w different last names like the three of us did. Trust me... it's not cool.

cassdawn said...

well, i do think things have changed a lot over the last couple of decades. i mean in 1980 i was shunned in my neighborhood because my parents were separated.

but that said i unfortunately still think he will get some shit for having my last name. people will assume carl isn't his real father. le sigh

cassdawn said...

nothing about the pics??? i thought they were pretty good some of them

kimberkara said...

The pics are very nice... I lived w you when you went, so...
A lot has changed regarding tradition in family. I like some of the traditions. Screw getting married, but all w the same name sounds good to me.

cassdawn said...

oh yeah

sure - as long as it's my name. :)