Tuesday, October 14, 2008

one down two to go

this is one of the songs my grandmother used to sing me. they say even as a very small baby i would cry whenever she sang it. she had a mesmerizing timber.

The time was in June,
The bees humm'd a tune
The perfume of rose fill'd the air,
When just o'er the way,
Sat a baby one day,
All alone and so one one seem'd to care,
But one passer by,
Turn'd and look'd with a sigh,
At the tears and the eyes swollen red,
Then close to her breast,
The young darling she press'd,
And tenderly to her she said,

[CHORUS]
Won't you come over to my house,
Won't you come over and play,
I've lots of playthings, a dolly or two
We live in the house 'cross the way,
I'll give you candy and sweet things,
I'll put your hair in a curl,
Won't you come over to my house,
And play that you're my little girl.

Perhaps you don't know,
That not long ago,
These toys I am giving to you,
Were my little girls,
Yes, my one little Pearl's,
And her eyes were like yours, large and blue,
But one night I found,
That the angels came 'round,
And they took her way up to the sky,
So don't stay away,
But come over each day,
Or you'll make your new Mama cry,
The title is: Won't you come over to my house

Written: 1906
Words by Harry H. Williams (1872-1922)
Music by Egbert Van Alstyne (1882-1951)

3 comments:

kimberkara said...

That is a very sad song.
My gramma used to sing "I'm my own gramma".

Andrea said...

Geez that is a depressing song! No wonder you cried...

cassdawn said...

haha - the funny thing is i started my crying in response to the song when i was like 6 months old