Friday, September 26, 2008

Increduility

What’s really bothering me at the moment is that I can’t remember the five stages of death or grief or whatever the fuck. I know there is anger; denial; bargaining and acceptance. There is a fifth one but for the life of me . . . is it increduility? I know it isn’t but that could easily be one and it’s different then denial because it isn’t so much that I don’t believe it; I’ve passed that point a little while ago. Like when the phone rang and it was his brother calling from his phone and I thought HE was calling to tell me it was all a big fuck up; that it was a cruel joke or that it was his dad and not him or I don’t even know what.

There’s a song that keeps going through my head: you’re in my heart, you’re in my soul . . . so what, it’s rod stewart, now you know I’m cheesey. And he is; always has been since I was fifteen and accosted him in the hall for his phone number. Contrary to what people say it isn’t like that piece of your soul dies – it’s far more painful than that. For every part of your soul that is alive there is a touch stone on the outside. Beauty is a part of your soul and anytime you need to bring that part out there are trees or flowers, poetry or music; whatever it is that is your touchstone.

So pumping and beating alongside my heart; wedged in my soul are all the times we connected; all our conversations; growing up together; fighting; the chemistry that danced and bounced between us tangibly and sometimes annoyingly. That is all still there but I have no touchstone. That’s all I can bear to say for now.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

I am really sorry for your loss. I am not gonna bother saying all the cliche things that we all feel compelled to say to our hurting friends in these situations... but I will say if you ever need to talk I will listen. And I hope it gets easier.

chris said...

my computer has been denying me my rights lately-so I'll see if I can sneak this by.
Kim briefed me on your relationship with your friend. I had written a little something but it started to sound stupid so-backspace galore. Besides, it was incriminating. Sorry that it hurts. It sucks. And, it is soo, as you more eloquently put it, hard to believe. I hope Karl is being nurturing. love and hugs, chris.

I'm Scooter, but I might be a troll. said...

I tried writing something five times.

I'm sorry. I wish you the best. I don't know what else to say.

cassdawn said...

thank you all - and don't worry about saying the right thing. anything short of that phone call i spent a week waiting for . . . you know the one were someone calls to say 'just kidding' - - really, thank you all for thinking of me.